Cassini map of the week – Wimbledon 1865

Cassini’s map of the week – Wimbledon


Wimbledon 1865 Ordnance Survey County Series 1:2,500

The All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club is a private club founded in 1868, originally as ‘The All England Croquet Club’. Its first ground was situated off Worple Road, Wimbledon. The Club moved in 1922 to the present site in Church Road (see above).

The Wimbledon Tennis Championships started in London since 1877 when the only event held was the Gentlemen’s Singles, won by Spencer Gore. It is reported that 200 spectators attended the final, each paying one shilling each.  Today Wimbledon fortnight attracts an annual attendances is over 450,000 people.

Look out for special offers an